Tuesday, July 10, 2018

I Lied...

There is no way I'm going to retype about 100 book reviews so God Bless the software engineer who developed cut and paste:


SUNDAY, JULY 10, 2011
I regret my failure to document my reading. I have lost track of many of the wonderful reading that I have completed since my last readings. Recently, though, I have completed several books on our many camping trips. Here is a brief list. 

Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I enjoyed this book, yet dystopian novels are not my favorite genre because they make me too nervous. I purchased the second book, Catching Fire, in the series, only to set it down after page 9 for said reason. For those friends of my who love this genre, I hope you continue to read for the author is a talented storyteller.

City of Amber by Jeanne DuPrau - I enjoyed this book, despite the fact it is not my favorite genre. It was an easy read, one that my eleven-year-old would enjoy.

Matched by Ally Condie - I especially enjoyed this dystopian novel of a world where our freedoms have been realistically taken away for what is considered "in the best interest" of it's citizens. It is a book innocent enough for my daughter to enjoy, which she did, while causing her to reflect on how luckily she is to have the freedom she enjoys.

They Never Came Back by Carolyn B. Cooney - I almost set it down, but I trusted the publisher's editor's support of the writer and read in. I'm glad I did because I did enjoy the book. I found the author use the country's current financial situation by comparing crooks like Bernie Madoff and others to her fictional characters interesting.

Milkwood by Jerry Spinelli - Anything by Jerry Spinelli is a fantastic read, even the somber topic of the Holocaust can be woven into a compelling story. Milkwood was a difference experience for me, but I loved it just like all of Spinelli's book. It should be recommended reading for middle graders. 

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm - This was a charming story. The author has a wonderful way of adding humor to the voice and behaviors of her characters. This book won a Newbery Honor making it her third. 

The Trouble with May Amelia by Jennifer L. Holm - I read this sequel to Our Only May Amelia, which I'm currently listening to on cassette from our local library. I read it while on vacation and there are so many laugh-out-loud parts that during one chuckle-fit, the campers next to us (7th grade girl and her older sister) came up and asked me what I was reading. I love the way this author brings life and personality to her characters. Jennifer Holm makes me passionate about disliking Amelia's father so much that if he were in front of me I'd smack him. Other characters I find so charming that I wish I could hug them. This is how I want my characters to be!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment