Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Still Grateful for Cut and Paste...

More old book reviews.


FRIDAY, AUGUST 27, 2010
I read this book with my daughter when she was in forth grade and we loved this endearing 1998 Newbery Medal novel. It is written in 1st person, present tense, and entirely in verse. It shares intimate details in the life of a young girl growing up in the dust bowl in 1934. It is a quick read and definitely one of my favorites.

There are many things I enjoyed about this book. I loved the plight of the m/c Lily and her flight from her father and acceptance into the lives of some beekeeper sisters. I did feel that the rituals of the black Madonna was a bit overdone, but overall I enjoyed this story immensely.

I read all of the Little House books when I was ten and what young girl would not love them? I read this story to my daughter when she was third grade and she loved it as much as I did so long ago. These books are perfect for any child in 3rd - 5th grade.

I read this to my daughter when she was in forth grade. We absolutely loved this charming, quiet story that won the Newbery Medal in 1986. The CIP defines the book as follows: When their father invites an mail-order bride to come and live with them in their praire home, Calob and Anna are captivated by her and hope that she will stay. 

This is a great read for children in 3rd - 5th grades.

Christopher Paul Curtis's book Bud Not Buddy was one of the first books on my reading list assigned to me by a former editor who critiqued the first chapter of the first children's book I ever wrote at the first writer's conference I ever attended. 

My writing was so bad, I laugh when I re-read what I submitted to her. But, instead of telling me what I had written was crap, she politely said, "If you are going to be a writer, you must be a reader. Read all the books you can by really good contemporary writers because they will teach you the art of true storytelling and voice."
 

She was right and Christopher Paul Curtis is one of the best teachers there is to learn from. Bud not Buddy was also Newbery Award winner.

This book one the Newbery Medal in 1987. It is a fun and fast read for grades third through sixth. Told in third person, past tense it is a tale of a growing friendship between two boys. I also own unabridged audo, which is a delightful way to spend an drive listening to this story.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 26, 2010

Linda Sue Park signed my copy of her 2002 Newbery Medal winning book at a book conference '08. I enjoyed being transported to a twelfth century Korean village. The realistic suspense the author brings to events in the Tree-ear's life had me worrying for the orphan more than once. This is a good book for MG teachers to share with their students.

A year later, I sat in a break-out session at the SCBWI Summer Conference (taught by Richard Peck) with Linda, Lisa Yee, and Jay Asher and, once again, I was honored to be near such writing talent.

The Graveyard Book was a completely unique and original story and I enjoyed it immensely. It won the 2009 Newbery Award. 

I will avoid making this a spoiler alert, so I'll quote the CIP data "Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard."

SUNDAY, AUGUST 22, 2010
Jacqueline Woodson is one of my favorite authors. I love her writing because she can make me laugh one minute while tugging at my heartstrings the next minute. 

I love this 2009 Newbery Honor Medal winning book despite the fact that I have nothing in common with the m/c. I'm a middle-aged white mom who knows nothing of rap or Tupac. But it was the story of the m/c--a young, black girl and how she relates to the world around her--that drew me in.
 

Every character in this book has a distinct voice and personality and it is impossible not to love each one--my favorite was Tash, Neeka's brother. But what makes this novel so unique is that I was unable to find the main character's name mentioned at all. The story is told in first person, but the author in some brilliant way was able to write the whole story without stating the name of the narrator.

This book is one of my favorite books. It is contemporary Y.A. told in first person. The voice is so strong I was hooked on the first page. I love any author that can make me laugh one minute and cry the next. How could anyone not love this m/c?

This story is an honest portrayal of what life is like for many Native American children. I know this because as a girl my family fostered a Najavo girl whose life and the lives of her friends and cousins mimicked the Junior's life.

This book (along with Love, Ruby Lavender by the same author) was recommend by Deborah Halverson, a former editor and author of the writing advise website Dear Editor  on a long list of books that she suggested I read if I was serious about becoming an author. 

I think she suggested I read these books because of the great examples of a strong MG voice that this author brings out in the first sentences of her books. In
 Each Little Bird that Sings the first sentence of the book starts out: "I come from a family with a lot of dead people." Who wouldn't want to continue reading? This book was a 2005 National Book Award Finalist.

I read this book several years ago after it was recommended to me by a published author at a conference in March 2008. It is the first dystopian-type of novel that I've read other than Ray Bradbury's Martian Chroniclesin high school, which I loved. 

SciFi/Dystopia is a genre I am not used to or particularly found of, but it was interesting how the author wove this scary new world. The concept reminded me of 80's movie Red Dawn, although in the movie the m/c does not fall in love with her cousin--which I found a bit disturbing.
 

It did, however, win a Printz Award in 2005. Told in first person, past tense the voice is compelling and it hooks the reader into reading more.

No comments:

Post a Comment