Friday, May 23, 2014

Writing and Mental Illness: My Story

I recently read a post on DearEditor.com from a wonderful writer with a question on mental illness. My heart went out to this writer because I, too, understand and occasionally feel the isolation she spoke of in her post. The advise the editor gave was excellent, but I could stop myself from sharing my experience as a writer with mental illness. Here was my response:

I, too, suffer from a mental illness: Bipolar Disorder. When I'm Manic, I think everything I write is awesome, but when I'm down I think it's crap. I hate to say BPs feel deeper than others because rejection sucks for everyone, but I know as a BP personality, I obsess more. I hired the best professional editor in the world and over the last seven years I've learned more than I ever thought possible. I'm more proud of what I've accomplished as I grow as a writer, than the fact I haven't been picked up by an agent/publisher. The best piece of advice I've ever received was from Deborah which is READ, READ, READ the genre you want to right [*write* Opps...I have the worst time with homonyms]. The characters in the novels you read and writers who write them can support you as you study their technique their technique, their word choice, and their storytelling. Another thing that helps is joining a critique group, not only for the support and encouragement your fellow writers will give you, but because (as I tell my children) YOU ARE WHO YOU HANG OUT WITH. So, hang out in writing blog websites, immerse yourself in a good novel, and remember to enjoy the writing process as you learn. 

Another person commented on the original post about how he/she is able to write on topics that do not bring up mental illness. I agree with point his/her comments about the stigmas associated with mental illness and commented on her/his point as well:

Excellent points Taurean. Mental illness still has a stigma. I recently moved from California to Texas and one of the questions [on the driver's license application] was: Within the past two years, have you been diagnosed with hospitalized for OR are you NOW receiving treatment for a psychiatric disorder? I answered honestly and wrote Yes, I take medication for BP. When I got to the desk, the clerk changed my yes answer to no. I found that interesting. My first fiction novel was about a girl living with a mother with mental illness. I wrote it as an apology to my children and to express the pain they must be going through as we learned to cope as a a family. Although the feedback I've received from agents/editors has been positive, my novel has not been picked up to date--and that's okay, now. It was therapeutic for me. I read similar fiction novels to uses as comparative works in my book proposal. What I learned was invaluable because I learned technique, which I've applied to a second novel. It is nothing like my real life and because of this distance in the story my plot, POVs, and theme are much stronger. Best wishes.

I love writing. It is a way to express myself, despite the fact that my husband, friends (not writer friends) and family aren't particularly excited to hear/read what I write. When I first started my writing journey, I shared/made everyone I knew hear/read my story. It reminds me of the scripture (Matthew 7:6 NAS version) that says "... do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces."
No matter how excited I am to share my work, I try not to push my work onto people who don't share my enthusiasm because their reaction is what brings me down. As a writer, my work is precious to me. Eventually, my words will be read by people who like to read--AND THAT IS WHAT MATTERS.


1 comment:

  1. Update... I finished Rowell's novel. Curious ending... not particularly happy or sad. It's real. No fancy bows to neatly bring the story full circle. It was real and leaves the reader the freedom to decide what will happen.

    Looking forward to reading Fan Girl tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete