Thursday, June 20, 2013

Tex-Mex is not the Mex I'm Used To: June 3rd

Enchallidas a'la Tex-Mex

After stretching our legs while admiring our new home, our stomachs’ growling became audible to the neighbors, so we decided to go out for Mexican food. We headed to Red Oak, a nearby town, and ate at a restaurant called Cancun’s.

I ordered cheese enchiladas, and the waitress asked, “Con carne or Queso?”

I replied, “Queso,” proudly thinking to myself how cool I was for knowing queso is Spanish for cheese. 
  
When the food arrived, I was shocked to see what looked like nacho cheese sauce on top of my enchiladas.

When the waitress returned, I tried hard not to squench my nose at the gloppy, yellow puddle covering the rolled tortillas on my plate, and asked, “Don’t you have the red pepper-based enchilada sauce?”

She looked at me like I was crazy, and I realized Tex-Mex isn't the Mexican I'm used to... so, I will now plagiarize L. Frank Baum and admit, " Toto, I've a feeling we're not in California [poetic license allows for substitution] anymore." 

No comments:

Post a Comment