Sunday, September 1, 2013

Author Review: One of My Favorite Newbery Authors - Jennifer L. Holm

Not too many children's authors can say they've won three Newbery honors, but Jennifer can. Although I don't think she would ever boast.

In 2011, I took Lucy to the SCBWI Summer Conference book signing, so she could meet Jennifer and have her thirteen episodes of Jennifer's Baby Mouse graphic novel series signed--these books are perfect for reluctant readers ages 6-12.

Jennifer couldn't have been more humble and caring as she signed each one of Lucy's books--not to mention the copy of The Trouble with May Amelia, which is my favorite.

Jennifer is quite a genealogist. Although her novels are fiction, many of her books share pieces of her ancestors' rich histories, whether it is on the banks of the Nasal in 1900's, or sharing the persecutions of her Italian family members during and after WWII.

Here are the Newbery Honor books I mentioned earlier:

Our Only May Amila, Harper Trophy, Copyright 1999.

Penny from Heaven, Yearling, Copyright 2006

Turtle in Paradise, Yearling, Copyright 2010


My favorite thing about Jennifer's writing is the way she sprinkles in humor on one page, but puts tears in my eyes at the top of the next page. 

That is, in my opinion, what makes a her such a good author. I want to laugh and cry at the same time. It is Jennifer's ability to create memorable characters, with believable and humorous personalities, while keeping them real that makes her an author I try to emulate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment