Sunday, September 8, 2013

Writing Religion in Contemporary Children's Literature

As I struggle with what seems like the millionth re-write of my novel, I am torn between creating a character that believes in God, while explaining that science (i.e. medication) is sometimes needed to make a person whole.

I am a Christian and a person who suffers from manic depression, and many of the events in my story are true, including how I believed I was possessed, and how I searched for cures to make me whole. A serious depressive episode feels like you've fallen into the outer darkness of Hell. No matter how hard I prayed, it seemed like God—nor anyone else—could hear my cries for help. I prayed to be saved from the pain and mental anguish I was trapped in.

God answered my prayers, but not in the way many Christians would expect. It was not in some golden light pulling me up and out of the pit of despair in one miraculous event. God answered my prayers by getting me the help I needed. It took hospitalization, and being properly diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, and finally receiving extra help through medication, to lift me out from the hell I was in. How do I share that with my readers, if I don’t bring God into my story? It’s impossible. Just as explaining the benefits of proper treatment for mental illness is important. The two are entwined.

During my reflection on how to incorporate the theme of my book, asking God for help, I thought of other mainstream books that incorporated Christian ideals into their themes. Here are just a few:

The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare - In 1962, The Bronze Bow won the Newbery Medal. All these years later, it hasn't lost its message and I thought it was a great book. It reinforces the importance of tolerance and shows the importance of "Love Thy Neighbor" through the eyes of a boy set on vengeance to drive out the Romans from Jerusalem. The main character, who once was driven by hatred, experiences a change in heart after hearing Jesus preach about love and forgiveness.

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle -The following year, in 1963, A Wrinkle in Time won the Newbery Medal. I was surprised how the themes of the book, love and freewill, are not only a universal principles, but they also represent Jesus’ sacrifice for us by comparing it to Meg’s (the main characters) willingness to sacrifice her life for her brother, Charles Wallace.  When interviewed, Madeleine L’Engle said, “I am a Writer first and a Christian second.” But, I wonder, how much of her beliefs were absorbed in her writing experience?

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis - As foretold in Narnia prophesy, two sons of Adam (Peter and Edward) and two daughters of Eve (Susan and Lucy) will come help Aslan (the Lion) fight against evil. When one of the children (Edward) falls for the trappings of the White Which, Aslin sacrifices himself for Edward. Aslan conquers death to live again and help the children and other Narnia creatures fight in a war with the White Witch. Sounds like a Christian message to me.

The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling - From the beginning of the first book, Harry Potter and the Sorcorers Stone, the act of sacrificing one’s self for others is the prominent theme as Harry’s mother gave her life for him. By the seventh book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Harry learns that it is through his death, that others may live. This is why Harry freely chooses to sacrifice himself to save others. Did J.K. Rowling mean to add this theme to her books? The following link is an interview by a reporter from MTV, so you can decide for yourself.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1572107/jk-rowling-talks-about-christian-imagery.jhtml



1 comment:

  1. Hi Joanna. First, I have to tell you that you have an awesome blog with some great topics! I want to read them all now. As far as putting Christianity into your novel. You give some great examples. In my novel, I use scripture and old hymns. The church is a part of the town of Friendly. As I wrote Charlene's story it just seemed natural to make this a part of her story. I was raised in a Catholic family, so maybe it spilled onto the page because of my religious upbringing. I think the answer lies in, are you preaching? From what you say in your blog, that doesn't sound like the case. I say, do what you feel is natural and 'true' for your character. This is her story. Everything she observes will be from a young person's perspective. There will always be those who disagree. If you follow your heart, you can't go wrong. I'm not sure if this was helpful. All the best! :-)

    ReplyDelete