Saturday, September 7, 2013

Writing Craft: Thanks, But This Isn't For Us by Jessica Page Morrell

I recently read a blog on Darcy Patterson's Fiction Notes which disgusted Jessica's book on why editors reject manuscripts. In Patterson's post she gave some common examples. Curious for more, I ordered the book from Amazon, and I was digging into the reasons why my novel might not be up to par within two days.

Whenever I read a book on craft, I insert my characters into the situations and examples given. Over the six years I've been working on my novel, I can't help but smile when I read about a basic writer's blunder I stumbled over--but I persevered and learned the correct process to fix it.

In the first few chapters Morrell gives examples of basic writing mistakes followed by examples of how to make your first paragraph sing as if it where a Siren calling, "Read on, and on, and on..."  However, the reason why I'm taking time to ignore the call of Morrell's Siren, is to type an interesting blurb she says about plot on page 57.

"Plot is movement and a record of change. These changes--inflicted on the protagonist or group of characters--alter their fortunes, choices, and beliefs."

The above quote though, struck me as a vital part of my novel's circulatory system, and not just a means to an end.

My plot is the vein, and it carries my main character's experiences through its blood flow to Lucinda. She can be attacked by viruses and cholesterol. How she handles the experiences are what effect her overall health and well being as a character. So... I can have her take antibiotics (listen to advice of another character) or put a band aid on it, but whatever she does it effects her health.

No comments:

Post a Comment