Sunday, September 1, 2013

Book Review: Matisse on the Loose by Georgia Bragg

I met Georgia at the 2009 SCBWI Summer Conference. We participated in a late night critique group. She was working on her second novel and was there for feedback from other writers. I purchased her first book, published by Delacorte Press in 2009.

The story’s main character is an eleven-year-boy named Matisse. His mother is a curator at the local museum, which is why he was named after the French painter Henri Matisse. Like the 19 Century artist Matisse loves to paint, and accompanies his mother to the museum to paint replicas of the famous artists’ paintings.  And this is where his adventure begins.

My original post,written in 2010, on an old blog only mentioned that I enjoyed the book. It was an easy read, and middle grade readers ages 8 – 11 would love it.The story is very funny and the characters quirky. I didn’t realize how much until I browsed through my copy of the book before I began typing. After skimming the first chapter, I’m in the mood to follow his adventures again.

No comments:

Post a Comment