Friday, May 29, 2015

Homemade Fruit Leather

When I was a kid, my grandma would make homemade fruit leather. Feeling sentimental, I decided to try to make some myself. Thanks to the wonderful Mother's Day present my husband bought me--the Nutribullet food extractor--the recipe process took lest than two minutes.

I threw 4 cups of fresh strawberries along with 1 cup of water into the blinder. I added a tablespoon of lemon juice, and I added sugar (less than 1/4 cup) to taste. Once pureed--about 8 seconds in the Nutribullet--I poured the mixture onto some wax paper I laid on a cookie sheet.



Cooking temperature is 140 degrees for 8 to 10 hours to dry. Our electric oven's lowest setting is 170, so I watched to see if the higher temp would make a difference. Due to thunderstorms, our electricity went out and the heated mixture cooled overnight in the oven. The next morning we resumed cooking because the mixture was a little bit sticky. After a few hours, the puree had set and we had a nice treat.



No comments:

Post a Comment