Sunday, July 28, 2013

Book Review: Crazy by Amy Reed

In an attempt to add to my list of competitive works, I checked out CRAZY by Amy Reed from the library. The novel is told through emails being shot back and forth between the two main character's dual points of view. Both of them are eighteen and in there last year of high school. This is the only reason why I can see it was put in the YA section.

I don't think the YA section is the correct place for it. There was a lot of profanity--which fits in with the actions of a manic depressive personality, so that part I can understand--and vivid sexual descriptions.

Sexual acting out is a common sign of the irrational and impulsive behavior BP personalities deal with, so that adds to the book’s realistic edge. Maybe it was too shocking and realistic for me to handle because I am Isabel, although I wasn't diagnosed with BP until I was thirty-five.

Reed does an excellent job and creating two very different POVs. It is obvious that Connor, a boy, has a co-dependent crush on Isabel, the exciting yet mental disturbed person.

Reed does a fabulous job describing/showing Isabel's destructive behavior before a diagnosis is given.

If I had to describe this author, I would say her writing is like Laurie Halse Anderson on steroids.  It is a compelling read, though, and I would recommend it to any older teenager dealing with these same issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment