Thursday, July 25, 2013

Book Review: Storyteller by Patricia Reilly Giff

I purchased Storyteller at a Scholastic Warehouse sale. I remembered the author's name, but have never read any of her books.

If anyone tries say that book covers don't influence purchasing decisions, then they are wrong. I bought the book because the girl on the cover was pretty and she reminded me of my daughter.

This story goes back and forth between two points of view, and it was nothing like I thought it would be. From the flap, I thought it would have some supernatural connection. Instead, it was written as a mystery--the main character needs to find out more about a girl in an old photograph.

The main character, Elizabeth, lives in the present and finds an old-fashion photo of girl, Zee, who is supposed to have a big mystery behind her life which Elizabeth is going to unravel.

Zee, Elizabeth's distant relative from the Revolutionary War era, was the second point of view. I thought Zee's POV and experiences of living during the war for our country's independence much more compelling, and I had to stop myself from skipping over the chapters with Elizabeth.

Patricia Reilly Giff is a Newbery Honor winner for Lily's Crossing, which I enjoyed very much. But with this novel, I thought the historical fiction aspects of the novel outshined the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment