Thursday, July 4, 2013

Getting a gun permit is easier thant checking out library books

My husband already has a California gun permit, so he decided to apply for a Texas permit and a concealed gun permit. Here are the rules: In Texas, to get a gun permit you must show your id and wait fifteen days for a background check.

My library card experience:

After three weeks of residency, I thought it’s time to get a library card. I searched the Dallas County library catalogs and saw that the Polk Library, fifteen miles from home, had all three 2013 Newbery winning books that I haven’t read yet.

Completely excited, I drove to the library, found the books and proceeded to the check out desk to fill out the application for a library card.

The librarian sighed after looking at my license, and told me that I need a loan permission card from my town’s local library, Lancaster Veterans Memorial Library. I explained how I chose the Dallas County library search because, I know from experience, city libraries don’t have the large selection that county libraries do.

“Unfortunately,” she said, “there is nothing I can do about that, but I will hold your books until next Wednesday when you we return with your lending card.”

My thank you expressed both my frustration and disappointment, and I headed off to my city’s local library.

First thing I did when I arrived at my next stop was search the shelves for my books, which they did not have. Then I went to the counter to fill out my paperwork for my local library’s card and get the slip that I needed to check out the books from Polk.

This librarian wasn't as nice as the other, and her reply to me was, “To get a library card you need a Texas Driver’s license and a utility bill to prove I lived where I said I lived.” 

I handed her my paper license, since I hadn't received my permanent one yet. She kept glancing at the clock, as it was twenty-five minutes till closing, and she barely paid attention to me as I explained that we just moved here and I have not received a current utility bill.

For my entertainment, she performed a little annoyed cough and said, “We can accept a rental contract or mortgage paperwork instead.”

“You’re kidding, right? Can’t you ask a supervisor for an exception?”  The woman huffed and left to find the branch manager.

When she returned, she begrudgingly took my paper license and began the new library card process. I explained that I needed a lending card because the Polk Library was holding three books for me to pick up by Wednesday.”

After looking at the clock again, she said. “You don’t qualify for that paper, until you've had your library card for ninety days.”

“Now, you’re joking.” I started laughing, mostly to keep from yelling, and replied, “I wasn't advised that at the Polk library.”

“That’s our policy,” she said, “we are the responsible if you fail to return the book.”

Thank gawd, I took my anxiety pill because I kept my temper, and instead pleaded, “Isn't there something I can fill out so the books can be sent here?”

The clock read ten-till-six, and the line grew with all the last second check-outs. The librarian, reached over the counter, pulled out a form from the plastic bin in front of me and told me to fill out the form and bring it back on Monday.

I grabbed two more forms and left the library defeated.

Bright and early Monday morning, I returned to the library with my completed forms. Smiling, I handed the forms to a younger, friendlier librarian. She dawned an I'm so sorry mask as she informed me that I would have to wait thirty days until I can be eligible for a library book transfer.

“When I was here Friday, no one informed me of this,” I whined. “The Polk Library is even holding these books for me.”

Her voice remained calm, despite the frustration in mine, as she piled on more ridiculous policy rules. “And even after the thirty-day waiting period, it can take from two to eight weeks to receive the books at our location.”

“But the librarian at Polk is holding my books!” My frustration oozed out. “That should expedite things. She knows I’m expecting these books.”

Being overly polite, she replied, “Procedure is procedure. Holding books does not guarantee when the books will arrive here.”


Needless to say, I never received my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment