Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Book 'em Danno (I know another bad pun)

I just received a text from the Zula B Wylie Public Library in Cedar Hill. It reads as follows:

Your library registration will expire in 10 days.  Please contact the library to renew your registration.

What is so humorous is that if I apply for renewal at this library I will be denied if I have to show residence identification. My zip code is shared by the City of Glenn Heights which is two miles from my house. Glenn Heights is in the boundaries of the Zula B Wylie library and there is a better selection of YA books than my city's library--although my library has a fantastic genealogy department. To borrow from another city's library I'd need a TexShare permission card from my local library.

The reason for my fib is simple. In order to get a Tex-Share card, I'd have to wait ninety (90) days. OMG... we'd just moved to Texas and I could get a gun permit faster than I could check out a freakin' book. My full monologue rant is in a post on Thursday, July 4th, 2013. Currently, I am in good standing with my local library (though I may not be after posting this entry) so I will be able to get a temporary TexShare card that must be renewed every ninety days--what an unnecessary hassle.

Come on Texas Legislature... a concealed gun permit is renewed every four years. I kid you not: Here is the statute:

GC §411.183. EXPIRATION. (a) A license issued under this subchapter expires on the first birthday of the license holder occurring after the fourth anniversary of the date of issuance.

I'd love to have someone comment on this subject if your state or country's library rules are just as lame.





2 comments:

  1. This is third damned time I've tried to respond to this. I've filled out my message, but then if I'm not logged into Google, the message gets erased. This is ridiculous! I shouldn't have to be logged into Google to post a response to a blog!

    As I've said twice before, I moved to Corona 14 years ago. I got my library card immediately. I don't remember what ID I had to show, but they made the card for me on the spot. It never expires. What's with these crazy Texas laws? As I've always said, there is only one thing wrong with Texas: It's full of Texans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol summed up the California library experience. In California, I have five library cards. Each city, or county if the library is county operated, requires a form to be filled out and verified with one form of identification. There is no waiting period and no bouncing back and forth to the library in the city of residence to check out a book at another library.

    ReplyDelete