Thursday, June 19, 2014

Preserving What's Right (I know... bad pun at jelly humor)

I realize the world changes, but sometimes I don't think big conglomerates understand the meaning of tradition. Let me explain.

One of my favorite theme parks growing up was Knott's Berry Farm located in Buena Park, California. Since I don't have full knowledge of the original owner's history, here is a great link if your interested: Knott's Berry Farm History .

On to my beef... Last year the company sold its jam and jelly rights to Smucker's. I found this sad fact last year when I could no longer purchase the preservers at Costco, so I began to order the product directly from the park itself.

Then, when a friend visited the park this year, he brought me some of my favorite jam. What a huge disappointment. How ugly is the new packaging? Am I right? I haven't opened my new jar, but when I do there will be hell to pay if they changed the recipe. I might even write them a letter (probably not).

From this... to this ... 

Also, at every grocery store in my area, I case the shelves of the Smucker's section and the company doesn't even offer a  Boysenberry jam. 



1 comment:

  1. What? It's a sad day for fruity preserves. I grew up on Knotts boysenberry! When my Dad moved us to Utah, my grandmother send it for Christmas and in care packages. You'd at least think they could indicate something about the heritage of this wonderful stuff on the new label. And don't get me started on boysenberry syrup...

    ReplyDelete